Firefighter John M. Janos

April 6th, 2013

FF. Janos suffered a heart attack and passed away in the early morning hours, shortly after returning to the station from an alarm at 23 Henry St. FF. Janos had climbed five stories in full gear to investigate the alarm.


Firefighter Gerald F. Mullins

January 8th, 1994

FF. Mullins became ill and passed away in front of the Veterans Memorial Arena, just after working a grueling day on the fire ambulance in heavy snow conditions.


Chief Donald E. Faughnan

May 1st, 1987

Chief Faughnan died of health problems caused by exposure to PCB's at the State Office Building fire on February 5, 1982. Chief Faughnan was in charge of fighting this fire.


Firefighter Francis E. Furch

December 31st, 1977

FF. Furch died as a result of inhaling deadly fumes from a copier fire at the office of vital statistics in City Hall. He became ill at the station after the fire call and passed away at home the next day.


Captain Donald W. McGeever

September 29th, 1975

Capt. McGeever along with Chief Cox drowned during an effort to find FF. Russell's body at the Rockbottom dam.


Chief John F. Cox

September 29th, 1975

Chief Cox along with Capt. McGeever drowned during an effort to find FF. Russell's body at the Rockbottom dam.


Firefighter John C. Russell

September 28th, 1975

FF. Russell drowned during an attempt to rescue two occupants of a capsized raft at the Rockbottom dam on the Susquehanna River. Two other firefighters were rescued after the fire rescue boat flipped over.


Lieutenant Clyde E. Johns

October 24th, 1970

Lt. Johns died after collapsing while fighting a 2 alarm fire that caused major damage to a restaurant supply company, Prescott Equipment Service, at 477 Court St.


Captain Lawrence E. O'Hara

January 13th, 1967

Capt. O'Hara died after being overcome by smoke from a fire at 2 Tremont Ave.


Training Instructor James M. Sullivan

November 10th, 1962

T.I. Sullivan died while fighting a fire at the Mutual Furniture Co., located at 171 Main St. T.I. Sullivan was a ranking officer and was not included in the buddy system, which is a way for firefighters to keep in contact with each other at a fire. He was not reported missing until the next day when his body was found in the basement.


Firefighter Jerome P. Ryan

September 3rd, 1951

FF. Ryan died while fighting a huge fire at the old State Armory Building on Washington St., across from the Forum Theater. This was a million dollar fire; units from the City of Binghamton as well as Johnson City and Endicott helped fight this large fire.


Firefighter Arnold B. Shephard

February 5th, 1951

FF. Shephard became ill shortly after fighting a fire at 6 Livingston St. After resting at home, he was again stricken with illness, ultimately resulting in his death. Smoke, stress, and exhaustion from fighting the fire were attributed to his death. FF. Shephard was 38.


Chief Arthur J. Dillon

March 7th, 1946

Chief Dillon collapsed and died in City Hall after having responded to a fire.


Firefighter James W. McCarthy

October 8th, 1940

FF. McCarthy's death was ruled a heart attack due to stress on his body after fighting a fire earlier in the day.


Firefighter Joseph Henehan

October 31st, 1938

FF. Henehan responded to an intense fire at Asylum Hill, Box 666 on October 26, 1937 at 6:52am. He received life-threatening injuries, and was bedridden for almost a year. FF. Henehan died at the Veterans' Home in Bath, NY on October 31, 1938.


Firefighter William S. Kennedy

April 29th, 1929

FF. Kennedy was crushed to death from a collapsed wall while fighting a 3 alarm fire at the Jean Marie Garage on 275 Chenango St. located across from St. Paul’s Church.


Chief Charles VanCleve

January 16th, 1929

Chief VanCleve died after being overcome by smoke at a fire at the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. at 218 Clinton St. Chief VanCleve was to retire later that year.


Firefighter William T. Moran

September 17th, 1928

FF. Moran was killed while responding to a fire at 48 Grand Blvd. He was thrown from the back of Engine #2 at the corner of Schiller St. and Grand Blvd. as the engine rounded the corner. He was driven to the hospital in the chief's car, and was pronounced dead on arrival from head injuries.


Firefighter H. Clair Brainard

March 25th, 1925

FF. Brainard died while fighting a fire at 155 Washington St., 'The Coffee Den'. FF. Brainard was trapped when a floor collapsed, pinning him under a large beam in the basement where he drowned before rescuers could reach him.


Captain William Ford

October 29th, 1915

Capt. Ford died at the age of 27, one week after inhaling smoke and super-heated gases while fighting a fire at Ballard and Ballard Dry Cleaning, located at 24 Charlotte St. It is now Dunn and McCarthy's.


Firefighter Joseph E. Muggleton

June 14th, 1914

FF. Muggleton was killed fighting a fire at Hayes Boat house. This was located at the corner of Hawley St. and Emerson Pl. on the Susquehanna River. His neck was broken when the boat house collapsed on him and several other firefighters. He was 30 years old.


Captain Walter Howell

March 5th, 1914

Capt. Howell was killed when a large plate glass window fell on him while fighting a fire at the Babcock, Hinds, and Underwood Store, a large four story building that ran from 174 Washington St. to 120 State St.


Firefighter Francis J. Hahar

September 26th, 1898

FF. Hahar was killed while fighting a large barn fire on Warren St. in downtown Binghamton. FF. Hahar was the first Binghamton firefighter killed in the line-of-duty. He worked out of the Rockbottom Hose Co. and had been a firefighter for only 3 months. He was 21 years old.